The Sandy Creek Covered Bridge at Remote, Oregon. Built in 1921 on the Roseburg- Coos Bay Road (now Oregon State 42), the bridge consists of a sixty-foot double Howe Truss Span which provided the necessary support for logging trucks. The bridge was bypassed by reconstruction of the highway in 1949 and is now situated in a small county park adjacent to Highway 42.

 

 

The rotted pylons of old piers are all that remain of a once-thriving logging mill on Coquille Bay at Bandon, Oregon. The old Moore Mill, a longtime landmark, was dismantled a few years ago and the shoreline is reverting to a nesting and feeding site for sea birds.

 

 

 

The Coquille River Light at Bandon, looking seaward (left) and landward (right). The light was built in 1896, making it the newest of Oregon lighthouses. The light served to guide lumber ships across the bar at the mouth of the river. It was de-commissioned in 1939 and later restored. It's Italianate style of architecture makes it unique.

 

 

Golden and Silver Falls. A largely unknown scenic attraction about 20 miles northeast of Coos Bay at the end of a rough gravel road. This picture was made in August when the flow of the creeks is at a minimum.

 

 

The Coquille River Valley viewed from the cemetery at Norway, Oregon, where every grave has a good view.

 

 

 

Summer roadside color in southwestern Oregon. The gorse or Scotch Broom (left) and the wild rhododendron (right). In addition to coloring the landscape, the gorse is an infernal nuisance. Brought to Oregon by an early settler, it achieved the same status as rabbits in Australia. Actually rabbits are not as much of a problem since they don't burn like the gorse. Over the years there have been many out-of-control wildfires involving gorse, including one some 50 years ago that totally destroyed the town of Bandon.

 

 

PAGE  1  2  3

OR

Return to Home Page